Bookmark and Share

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Old Lessons, Modern Meanings


When you surround yourself with talent on a regular basis, you start to see crossover. I wrap up my summer residency with Brown Miller Communications this week, having had the great fortune (and fun) to learn from this incredible team about the art of communication. And like every August before, I’m now heading to southern Alabama for a visit during the dog days of summer with my 90-year-old grandmother (who’s a real spitfire).
 
As I’ve been reflecting on all that I’ve learned this summer and thinking about my upcoming visit, I know my grandmother would love this team the way I have come to.
 
Here are three nuggets of wisdom she’s given me I’ve seen reflected in the day-to-day philosophy and operations at Brown Miller:
 
 
There’s no substitute for a handwritten thank you card.

When you’re in charge of a campaign or a company’s communications, people notice your manners when it comes to how you do business. Communications professionals understand that taking the time to show appreciation and build connections with authenticity pays off.
 
It’s what’s on the inside that counts.

My grandmother wears lipstick and kitten heels just about everywhere she goes, no matter what, but she has always said it’s what’s on the inside that counts. When marketing ideas to the public, it matters whether or not a PR firm truly understands the vision and heart of their clients. Good communications professionals understand that a “slap a coat of paint on it and call it new” approach isn’t going to fool anyone.

A garden tended regularly yields the best fruit.

Some communications and PR firms approach building their client base like speed dating. But it’s the long-term investments in relationships that pay off over time. With longstanding, trusted client relationships, a communications firm can see the client through strategic planning processes, rebranding, organizational restructures and other sea changes – and serve them better for having seen them through it.

Thank you to everyone at Brown Miller for an unforgettable summer!
 
 
-Summer
 
 

1 comment:

Pigatti said...

Summer,

Thanks for your kind words and for the amazing contribution you made to Brown Miller this summer. As your grandmother might have said,"You're our kinda people."

Mike